Friday, September 9, 2011

WEEK TWO: Pigskin Pick'ems

Well fresh off a Week One of a victorious 3-1 prognostication streak with over 30 games selected, I'm gonna press my luck and pick over 40 games for Week Two.
And here they are (WINNERS in caps):

Friday Night Games
*MISSOURI @ Arizona State
*Florida International @ LOUISVILLE

Saturday's Games
*Northwestern State @ LSU
*ALABAMA @ Penn State (Hi, Mr. Scarborough!--I picked red over blue??!!)
*Charleston Southern @ FLORIDA STATE
*STANFORD @ Duke (Andy the Lucky, don't wear out your arm! FEAR THE TREE and GO THE CARDINAL! All the way, baby.)
*Oregon State @ WISCONSIN (I was amazed at how awful the Beavers were in Week One.)
*Fresno State @ NEBRASKA (It absolutely pains me to pick the Huskers, but the Bulldogs are weak.)
*Virginia Tech @ EAST CAROLINA (I know, but I'm goin' w/the Pirates until they win...soon?)
*SOUTH CAROLINA @ Georgia (For hippiechik62 who is very often right.)
*Nevada @ OREGON (Nevada is a good team and hopefully the game will reflect that, but not too much as the DUCKIES need a salve for last week's wounding. CheeriO-DUCKS!)
*New Mexico @ ARKANSAS
*Toledo @ OHIO STATE (I'd love to be wrong here.)
*MISSISSIPPI STATE @ Auburn
*FLORIDA ATLANTIC @ Michigan State (Sorry, Sparty.)
*University of Alabama-Birmingham @ FLORIDA
*Norfolk State @ WEST VIRGINIA (Picked against Mountaineers last week and they burned me.)
*Ball State @ SOUTH FLORIDA (I think this will be a very good game; edge goes to USF.)
*Brigham Young @ TEXAS (The 'Horns could use a reason to smile this week. Good luck to them.)
*Texas Christian @ AIR FORCE (Our "Flacons" have a good team this year. Gotta go with homies.)
*Central Michigan @ KENTUCKY
*RUTGERS @ University of North Carolina
*Maine @ PITT
*NC STATE @ Wake Forest
*WOFFORD @ Clemson (Reason 1: My old hometown. Reason 2: Grad of S.C., hate Clemson.)
*CINCINNATI @ Tennessee (Gotta go long once in a while.)
*SC STATE @ Bethune-Cookman (Bulldogs need that first win.)
*Rhode Island @ SYRACUSE
*North Dakota @ IDAHO (Go Vandals!)
*MURRAY STATE @ Mississippi Valley State (Pure freaking guess here.)
*Southern Illinois @ OLE MISS
*TEMPLE @ Akron (Whoo, whoo...)
*STONY BROOK @ Buffalo (Again, just a weird feeling b/c I would normally go with Buffalo.)
*FURMAN @ Citadel (Good memories and best wishes.)
*NAVY @ Western Kentucky
*HOUSTON @ North Texas
*Memphis @ ARKANSAS STATE (It's a mental coin flip.)
*Robert Morris @ LIBERTY
*Central Arkansas @ LOUISIANA TECH (See ARK ST pick.)
*GEORGIA TECH @ Middle Tennessee
*GRAMBLING STATE @ Louisiana-Monroe
*Connecticut @ VANDERBILT (This one's for you, Willie Geist. GetWellSoon & welcome to the broken coccyx club.)
*Notre Dame @ MICHIGAN (Hey, I was right about "Our Ladies" last week wasn't I?!)
*WEBER STATE @ Utah State (Again, a toss up for me.)

44 picks, 44th President: May the tallest, smartest, most patient man win. OK, I give already.
Enjoy the games, all. (Results and commentary will be posted on Monday.)
AND LEST I FORGET #45: CALIFORNIA @ Colorado (Sorry Buffs, I hope you'll surprise me.)
DANG IT ALL, I just don't know when to quit. Do you think I'm watering down the results with sheer volume here? You know, leveling out the curve as it were? Whatever the reason, I have 19 more picks. This is it, I swear. 64 has got to be a representative sampling already!
*IOWA @ Iowa State
*San Diego State @ ARMY
*University of Northern Colorado @ COLORADO STATE
*PURDUE @ Rice
*HAWAII @ Washington (Sorry Steve, I'm picking against you again my old USC "pal".)
*Southern Mississippi @ MARSHALL
*Tulsa @ TULANE
*University of Nevada-Las Vegas @ WASHINGTON STATE (This one should be good as well.)
*Texas State @ WYOMING
*Virginia @ INDIANA
*Morgan State @ BOWLING GREEN
*Gardner-Webb @ OHIO
*Louisiana-Lafayette @ KENT STATE
*Northern Illinois @ KANSAS
*UTEP @ Southern Methodist University
*UTAH @ University of Southern California (I like the Trojans but the Utes are good.)
*Nicholls State @ WESTERN MICHIGAN
*BOSTON COLLEGE @ University of Central Florida
*San Jose State @ UCLA (Come on Rick, keep your dream job alive buddy!! Best, best wishes.)

Let me explain that last one. I was living in Northern California when Rick Neuheisel was finally allowed back into college football. Rick was good to us here in Colorado--even though he left abruptly to go to the Huskies--and we had no idea how good until he was gone. (Not you, Gary Barnett, you are far too pretty a man to ever make me mad.) But Rick is a decent guy and a good coach and he got royally screwed in Seattle. He did nothing to manifest the level of crap visited upon him, and did a lovely pro-bono stint in high school ball as a way to stay sane and to appease the critics. I was so happy for him when he got the UCLA job--the one he'd always wanted--that I made signs and put up on all the windows in my car that I did not need to navigate safely. I was so glad he got his happy ending. Now, with UCLA's struggles, that ending may soon morph into something other than happy. So I want him to win, and not just win, but to bring the great offensive tradition back to UCLA. I hope he gets his chance.

See you again on Saturday evening...either with my head in my hands or my hands in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment