Friday, December 16, 2011

RENT MY HUSBAND: $100 per inch

The director of Oregon's Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport has dropped plans to sell advertising space on the air traffic control tower. READ THAT AGAIN. Now laugh at an ACTUAL quote from the story where said director pulled his controversial idea when he "saw the writing on the wall." (You can't write this stuff, you know.)

I didn't like it when schools began selling ad space on buses, but I adore sky-writing. Obviously, I'm a conundrum. I don't like ads ON sporting athletes, but think they're quaint on the outfield wall of the little league field. I'm a riddle. I don't like ads online, but pour through the Sunday circulars like a woman deciphering a lost language. I'm an enigma.

Maybe I'm missing out on a big payday here, what with hubby in that tower all day and whatnot. If only the cab was encircled in glare-proof magnifying glass, I could have him tattooed with ads. I could rent space on him--my living, breathing billboard.

Let's not leave out the kids. What if I rented space on them to kid-centered advertisers? They're around 600 other kids every day! And just imagine all the cool things I could advertise by artfully shaving the dogs! Wow, this is...

Stupid. Really? More advertising space, that's what we need? NO, it's the REVENUE, silly. You can't just ask folks to buy something for which they have no money. You can't expect a huge supply of information or anything else to create the demand. Huge DEMAND creates the need to advertise, not the other way around. Wouldn't it be great if it were the other way around? Then old RayGun woulda been right and we wouldn't be in the fix we're in now. It's the revenue the airport manager needs. It's the revenue we all need. It's the REVENUE our government needs.

Then again towers do give you lots of room for that magical "trickle-down" concept to play itself out. Let's see how that would work. As for me, I'm not feeling the need to wear a hardhat near hubby's worksite anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment