Saturday, June 18, 2011

TRAVELOGUE: Setting the Stage (Camping--Day Two)

This morning the boy child spotted a bald eagle. We all went over to watch as it soared above us, circling a field ringed with big cottonwood trees. It was the first baldy I'd seen in a few years, so I really enjoyed the experience. I told the kids about the neat photographs I took many more years ago as their dad and I watched several bald eagles fish in a stream in Washington. I love to watch our prairie falcons in flight, but I don't think any other bird's method can match that of the baldy in pure elegance and style.

This afternoon I took my first ride on the Kon-Tiki. She's new to us this summer and our first boat as a family. The hubby is a somewhat experienced boatman, but I am a nervous neophyte. After a literal false start we had a beautiful cruise around the lake and were treated to terrific views of the mountains. I took a turn at the helm and scurried atop the boat twice while we were underway--once to reign in the buoys and once to bring us alongside the bilge dock. Like I told you, June will be full of firsts.

Just now the cottonwood trees are showering us with "summer snow" and the lake is only a few shades darker than the sky. There's a calm breeze making the leaf shadows dance as I write this. Crickets are dueling with robins and orioles in a sing-off, and the low hum of outboard motors drifts across the lake to our campsite.

After the terrific electrical storm the first night and two chilly mornings, today has been perfect. The green grasses stretch out long and low like a lazy summer day and the trees around the lake shoot up like frothy green fireworks caught still in a photographic image. The greens and blues slow you, trap you in their cool, sweet magic and the breeze finishes you off into a deep, mystic trance.

And here I sit, in a perfect snow globe under the shedding cottonwoods, right in the middle of everything summer is supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment