Monday, August 1, 2011

One Down, One to Go

I'm not thrilled with this "compromise" debt-solving bill, but hey, I really did hope to buy food for my kids this weekend, so I gotta take what I can get. (We live off the federal dole around here.)

I was surprised at the margin the "ayes" had over the "nays" in the House, which leads me to expect at least 70 or more senators to sign on to this train tomorrow. We'll see.

Remember, this is just Act One in our little drama. Come September we'll have a big fight over whether or not to shut down the government, as the fiscal year begins on October 1st. Then, if we survive that one, Act Three will come the day before Thanksgiving (how sweet) when our "Super Committee" will give us their recommendations for another trillion and a half in cuts in order to escape the "triggers" which will automatically cut defense spending, much to the chagrin of the elephants, and cut entitlement funding, to the dismay of the donkeys. That mutually-insured cooperation by way of threat is Washington's idea of working together these days.

So as soon as we have the news tomorrow, I'll be glad to update this week's photos and I will give you another list of "austerity-related" items. I would go ahead and upload the new pix now but I am sort of superstitious and I wouldn't want any of this foolishness on my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment