Saturday, September 3, 2011

Prognostication, Week One

COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS UPON US AGAIN!! YIPPEE. I know I'm late to the dance today, but we had some major, major electrical and electronic hullabaloo in Cockeyed Country yesterday. We seem to be out of the smoldering woods...for now. So, as a result, I cannot give you all of my prognostications, but I can give you the majority and update you on my picks for the games that are over or in progress.

I grew up listening to "Leonard's Losers" on the radio every Saturday morning. My folks are not sports fans, but I am, and Leonard was always a fun way to kickoff the kickoffs. Now my go to "get your pigskin on" spot is ESPN's "College Gameday". We never, ever, ever miss an episode--even the Thursday nighters. (I will try to give Thursday NCAA postings as well, but the week got away from me what with the volunteer meeting and a party--both on Thursday night. I should have Boehner's secretary double-check my schedule from now on.)

So, without further ado--and often without anything but heart and soul--I give you my WEEK ONE picks for the magical sport we call NCAA College Football.

The Already Rans (winners or leaders in caps):

Got 'em Right--Tennessee Tech v IOWA, Akron v OHIO STATE, Fordham v CONNECTICUT, Utah State v AUBURN, Indiana State v PENN STATE, Kent State v ALABAMA

Got 'em Wrong--NORTHWESTERN v Boston College
A note about this one. I've been a Northwestern fan for many years, but with QB Persa out, I figured BC had a chance to pull one out. Ironically, on the last play of the game, BC's QB went down.

In Progress Picks:

MISSOURI 17 v Miami (Ohio) 6
Middle Tennessee 24 v PURDUE 27

AND NOW, THE GRAND PROGNOSTICATIONS:

Indiana v BALL STATE (just go with me, here; also, for David Letterman)
Miami v MARYLAND (Miami's off the field distractions are more recent--MON NITE GAME)
UCLA v Houston (gotta pull for Rick Neuheisel to keep his alma mater gig)
Brigham Young v MISSISSIPPI (I don't like BYU, but it isn't "hatred")
SOUTHERN FLORIDA v Notre Dame (this one is pretty close to "hate"--sorry, Irish)
BOISE STATE v Georgia (gotta pull for Kellen and the boys of blue)
OREGON v Louisiana State (the G.o.D. rule applies: "GO DUCKS!!!!!)
Minnesota v USC
Louisiana-Monroe v FLORIDA STATE
Western Michigan v MICHIGAN
Delaware v NAVY
JAMES MADISON v North Carolina (you gotta have an upset or two)
Montana v TENNESSEE (I'd love to pick Montana but lack the balls to do so)
Florida Atlantic v FLORIDA
EAST CAROLINA v South Carolina (I am known to pick against my alma mater whenever they face reasonable opposition. Call it a healthy dose of self-loathing that keeps me grounded.)
RICHMOND v Duke (Dislike for Duke stronger than fear of Spiders...or their uniforms.)
WILLIAM & MARY v Virginia (I know, but "Bill and Mare" was my dream college--I never applied--but I still love them even when they don't stand a chance in Jefferson-land.)
TROY v Clemson (Like I said, I was graduated from the University of SC--Clemson is their arch rival.)
Rice v TEXAS (Like I have a choice here.)
Austin Peay v CINNCINNATI
Missouri State v ARKANSAS (This one's for Bill C.)
Elon v VANDERBILT (This one's for Willie G.)
Tulsa v OKLAHOMA
OHIO v New Mexico State
Louisiana Tech v SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
COLORADO v Hawaii (Yes, I'm a dreamer...nothing but a dreamer-er-er.)
GRAMBLING STATE v Alcorn
EASTERN WASHINGTON v Washington (Nothing against Steve Sarkesian, but the Red can get you.)
San Jose v STANFORD (Go The Cardinal, Go Tree!!)
Idaho State v WASHINGTON STATE (they could really use it)
Buffalo v PITTSBURGH
COLORADO STATE v New Mexico (good luck, Rams!)
Northern Iowa v IOWA STATE
Texas State v TEXAS TECH (not a student; definitely a "rambling wreck", or am I thinking GA Tech?)
Army v NORTHERN ILLINOIS (a tough call for Henry Blake)
Weber State v WYOMING (get 'em, Cowboys!)
Northern Arizona v ARIZONA
Cal Poly v SAN DIEGO STATE (this one's for you, Tony the Aztec!)
MARSHALL v West Virginia (a girl can dream--SUNDAY NITE GAME)
Southern Methodist v TEXAS A&M (this one's for Kevin the Aggie-Techie Man--SUNDAY NITE GAME)
Sacramento State v OREGON STATE (I can pull for the "Beaves" if they aren't playing the Ducks.)
Fresno State v CALIFORNIA (Even on the 49ers field, Cal can bring the Golden Bear charm!)


Sorry for those I left out, I try to be as complete as I can with over 170 teams in play. Looks like the "Flacons" as we call them around here (Air Force) are gonna win handily. (Note: They did, by 17 pts.) And congrats to the Orangemen of Syracuse on their Thursday night win over Wake Forest (I would likely have gone with Wake on that one.) Also congrats to last night's winner of the "Baptist Bowl", where Baylor bested TCU. The Horned Frogs usually find a way to win or hang in forever, but it's hard to overcome hard feelings from last season. Especially when you're up against a quarterback like Griffin (aka RG3). Cute and talented--that's a win-win in my book.

In the complaint department: Maybe I will come to like the new rule, but at first blush I do not care for the matter in which it changes game-ending play call decisions. I speak of the NFL-style 10 second run-off. If you commit a penalty with under a minute left in the game, 10 seconds automatically clicks off the clock. In addition, the game clock restarts as soon as the refs ready the ball for play. I think this will take too much air out of the end of the games, but we'll see.

So crank up your TV or computer machines and enjoy the rest of today's contests. The cheers of the crowds like the rustling of drying leaves on the branches, the strong, buttery, low sunlight, the cool and crisp of the air and the sky: Nothing says Fall like the first weekend of football! Enjoy, my friends. And, of course, GO-PAC 10...I mean, 12!!

1 comment: