Monday, October 10, 2011

Why I'm Grateful For Canada

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving Day and while hockey is a given, I thought I should offer up my five favorite things Canadian for which to give thanks.

1. The Rheostatics--If you have never heard this band, you haven't really heard Canadian music (sorry, Barenaked Ladies fans). And if you haven't heard "Whale Music", then you are missing out on the only perfect album ever recorded. (Listen in headphones to get the full appreciation for the production values.)

2. "Kids in the Hall". I raised my son on this show and he's one of the best, most well-rounded people I know. 'Nuf said.

3. The Colorado Avalanche--Thank you, Quebec, for giving us your Nordiques!!

4. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation--Fabulous projects, great movies, terrific TV.

5. The Bombadier Company and the Embraer Company--If it wasn't for CRJs (Canada Regional Jets) most of us wouldn't be able to get around and I wouldn't want to fly. Small, safe planes, easy boarding, and friendly crews. And on the Embraer, the A seats get their own, private row!!

So thank you, our great northern neighbors. You help us raise our own bar, strip a lot of the cold out of our weather patterns, and make melancholy cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment