Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Slip Sliding...No Way

     I've only been up to the boat once this season and that was just for the day. Tomorrow, after I finish my gig handing out pup and cat food, I'll be grabbing the boy child and heading up the highway to the lake.

     It's been a couple of years since I spent the night--we're gonna spend two--and I am thoroughly looking forward to that aspect in particular. What a wonderful way to sleep, rocking gently to and fro (and it will be gentle, I checked the wind outlook), with no sound other than the lapping of the water. Even after just one night, I can still feel the effects for a good four nights on, finding it easy to convince myself back home in my bed that I'm still on the water.

     I'm not a boater per se, I am a docker. I like "slip life" just fine, thank you very much. I get scared out of my wits when we're underway. I'm sure there's a reason, all I know is I've been this way since childhood. I can sit on the "beach" with the best of them should the family need to feel the freshwater wind in their hair.

     But this will be a mother-son outing only, and that's a good thing. Kids need a healthy dose of one-on-one when they have siblings, and when they are about to embark on big new things in a couple of months...like high school. (Gyad help us.) He's a good boy, a great student, and a ton of fun to be with when he isn't feeling like a teenager, but then again, aren't we all.

     I'm going to give the wi-fi a shot up there so I can check in with you as the week--and our trip-- progresses. But I tend to go all moonbeams and heron calls when I'm near the water so I apologize in advance if it gets a little deep and syrupy. Hopefully, just when I need grounding, a "teenior moment" will strike the boy and bring me hurtling back to reality.

     Ahoy, maties: I'll be docked and boated! See you at the lake...

No comments:

Post a Comment