Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday's Child Has Lots to Say

     I had already decided that today was the day I was going to come out of my sabbatical and blog again. And, I had already decided that this morning's MSNBC installment of the Melissa Harris-Perry show was one of the most important I'd seen in quite a while. That seemed plenty enough prodding and fodder to write a fairly good quality blogpost.

     Then, at the end of the show, Melissa spoke of Pam Spaulding and her blog, Pam's House Blend, which I was not familiar with though this lady's beautiful face did seem familiar to me. Seems Pam has been blogging since 2004 about being Southern, being a woman of color, and being a member of the LGBT community. In just those short years between Bush, The Second Coming, and Obama, The Second Attempt (successful, thank heavens), Pam went from letting loose some steam to being a credentialed citizen reporter at the 2012 Democratic National Convention. She made some waves. She got some attention. And this week, she decided that working full-time, blogging, and fighting RA was one thing more than she had the stamina to handle.

     Pam has decided to end the daily grind of blogging much to the chagrin but no doubt full understanding of her many followers, to include MHP herself. When Melissa reached out to ask what Pam would want to come from her blog, what, in effect, the legacy should be, Pam answered that those of us who do this (erstwhile or regularly) need to keep going, and need to be heard from.

     Well, as we say in Southland Speak, "I hear that!" And I'll try harder to do so. Not that I am so enamored of myself to think I NEED to be heard, but I do have things I often need to say. I'd love it if I made my blogging into more of a journalling atmosphere: My daily take on all things me and my view of the world. But I'd also love to keep banging out the politics, the issues, the things that I don't necessarily wake up feeling but that grab my attention during the day and create the traffic jams of words and thoughts in my head, hourly. In other words, the sublime but also the serious.

     I could make promises to myself, but I know where that would lead and they keep the light on for me there already. I'll just say "I wanna" to myself and see where and for how long it goes. If I've learned anything over the past few months it is that you have to be easy on yourself. You just have to choose to be.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment