Monday, April 25, 2011

Climate, Change!

We cannot buy snow. We can't lease it, try it on for size, give it a test drive, nor win it in a raffle.
It will not snow. Ever.

In my high and dry neck of the woods, we used to get an average of over 100 inches of snow per season. I recall years with multiple blizzards, when it used to fall by the foot. Know what our biggest snowfall has been this "winter"?  Four inches. Four lousy inches. My parents back South got nearly twice that in one snowfall. My friends on the central California coast saw their mountains get a five-incher. We have had a total this winter of about 12-14 inches.

A few years ago when I was living in Cali, I did not miss snow. And when the time came to return to the Rockies, I told my hubs that I would never drive in snow again as I had officially become a Californian. It didn't take. I MISS SNOW! WE NEED SNOW! All winter NOAA has been calling for snowstorms, and the watches and warnings have come and gone. They were wrong nearly every time. I don't know what oracle they are consulting; I suspect they may be toying with us or just literally broadcasting wishful thinking.

I have a tin sign up by the garage doors that reads, "Welcome Winter." Winter did not read it. Or, if taken as a suggestion (there is no comma on the sign), no one but me tried to follow said suggestion. I do not know what else to do. Here it is nearly May, and we are fast running out of chances. Then we're left with nothing but a long and arduous forest fire season.

If anyone out there is in New England, I'm sorry. That was supposed to be for us. And if you're in one of the many places in our world suffering much worse weather and climate fates, I know I am whining compared to your reality.

You never know how much you loved a thing until it's gone. I think with melancholy back to days when I lamented the snow, even proclaimed it vile. And I wonder if we are now in another era similar to the Medieval Warming Period. (Really interesting reading if you aren't familiar with it.)

So perhaps the next time the kiddos leave the car doors open, I'll get more than a half-inch in my car. I  can't believe I'm actually hoping for that!

1 comment:

  1. The Medieval Warming Period killed the Irish Elk, ironically by making Ireland too cold for certain kinds of moss to grow. Do not ask me why I know this. Sometime the filing cabinets just randomly pop open.

    ReplyDelete