Sunday, May 29, 2011

Take me out to the ball-game...

Took the kiddos to the local Minor League ballpark today and had a whale of a good time. Great weather, except for the wind, and for some reason the guys decided to unload everything they had on the ball (and the other team's pitching staff). HUGE #s: 41 hits, 30 runs total in the game! It was a very exciting afternoon.
Now, truth be told, I'm a big college football fan--I watch every Tuesday night game, every Thursday night game, and watch all the games I can switch between every Saturday. It's my Fall passion. But I do appreciate the history and the tradition of baseball, especially when I'm physically at a ballpark. We sang the National Anthem as the game began and "Take Me Out..." during the seventh inning stretch. We shouted encouragement to our guys, and politely clapped for theirs. We waved at the mascot, stood for the last out, and gave our guys a standing O until they finished their fist-bumps and hand shakes and returned to the dugout.
When I was a kid, I got to watch Dusty Baker as a minor-leaguer. Maybe my kids will have a memory like that if one of our guys gets called up and makes the best of "The Show" for himself. That would be cool. (That's my youngest one's glove in this week's picture. She got to sing the anthem at an earlier game.)
Play ball!!

No comments:

Post a Comment