Monday, May 23, 2011

Weekend Revue

So Sunday I had the delightful opportunity to attend a house concert featuring a world-renowned jazz pianist and a local girl who is a phenom on the piano. Our small gathering of folks enjoyed three hours of incredible music in a lovely mountain home. The best part of the afternoon was knowing that we were all there to support the arts in our little town, and to provide scholarship monies for local students with great musical talents and aspirations.
The famous jazz man told us that we were "visionary" and were not just creating community, but enabling "civilization" to occur. He has already promised to come back for our second annual event next year and bring his trio with him.
I take as many inroads as I can find and have time for to help the schools, not just because of cutbacks, and not just for the benefit of my own kids, but because I can and I know that bettering kids' lives and expanding their opportunities is the absolute best use of my time.
So if you have the chance to affect change in your neck of the woods, by all means do so. I can tell you that what you get back is a heck of a lot more than you'll ever give.

No comments:

Post a Comment