Saturday, August 13, 2011

Whined and Diened

I can honestly say that the volunteer gig setting up for the wine festival was some of the hardest labor I've performed in quite a while. For though I try to workout an hour a day, and am a fairly physical person beyond that, the work I did in those four hours this morning was exhausting!

I think I set up at least 30 tents including weighting them down against the wind, moved about 100 cases of wine, emptied vehicles (we have 80 vendors this year), set up 40 or more tables, moved chairs and tables, did some vehicular crowd control, did some troubleshooting for vendors, etc. I was soaked with sweat by the time I was done. And I rode there and back on my bike--roughly twenty minutes each way. (Uphill only one way, thank googlie eyes!)

But it was fun, very rewarding, and made for a superb workout. (So it's okay that after I got home and recovered from the dehydration headache--which I had even though I drank two bottles of water and a quart of green tea--I polished off an entire bag of Doritos. Surely I burned off a few hundred calories in those four hours. That'll help me cut into the 1800 calories in the chip bag. Servings, schmervings.) I made some new friends and ran into several old ones. It's a beautiful sunny, breezy day, so hopefully folks will crowd into the park, sample lots of wine, and purchase even more.

There's no better way to feel that neat community connection than to get out there, stake your claim to the town, and be memorably kind, humorous, and helpful. And if you happen to believe in Karma, you could probably rack up some "just in case" points there, too.

...I'll get back with you later once the Iowa Straw Poll results are in, and once I've had some time to let the whole damned Rick Perry foolishness sink in. Until then, read my post entitled "Where The Hell Do I Start, Bucko?" as it deals with Perry's folly and I happen to think it's one of my very best postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment