Sunday, November 13, 2011

Season of Giving

The Christmas Cactus is in bloom and the festivities have begun: The Holiday Season is upon us! I've managed to procure a good start to the commercial activities, am planning for the many events over the next few weeks, and, most importantly, continue the "giving".

One of the big fundraisers for our local no-kill shelter (where we got 3 of our 4 doggies, the other one came from another rescue group) was held this past weekend at the high school and daughter and I took boxes of baked goods for them to sell. We attended as well, purchasing Christmas gifts for the dogs and ourselves. In addition to the bake sale, they also feature many local crafters and, of course, Santa. Daughter sat with Santa for a picture--thank goodness she isn't "too old" for that yet. I secretly hope neither of the kids is ever that "old".

Today, I wrapped up 20 little gift bags for the less fortunate to gift to their dogs and accumulated a nice pile of needs to drop off at the Pet Pantry this week. Tomorrow I'll be baking for Teacher Appreciation Day and the following day I will help with the set-up and clean up of that celebration. We'll also put together boxes of cast-off clothing and housewares for the Community Cupboard, which also assists those in dire financial situations.

I don't do these things for the sake of being a do-gooder and I don't share them with you in order to inflate my self-esteem. My reasons are much more nefarious: I do it because it feels good.

There are very few things I can think of that are better uses of my time and resources than helping schools and those in need. Whenever the recipients thank me I make sure to say, "If I ever need help, I hope you'll be there for me." I can do these things now so I consider them a moral imperative of sorts. If the time ever comes when I cannot, I would hope that such charities would be there for me and that those who are able would contribute to them. I suppose that's my "world view".

And it's my biggest complain with the current U.S. political scene. This "every man for himself" philosophy is to me a false one. A democracy is something that you invest in--whether that investment comes in payroll taxes, incomes taxes, or occupation protests doesn't matter: All inputs are valid. And everyone has a right to their beliefs about their country. But I for one believe that my country is a place where people work together toward a desired outcome, a place where the federal government, state, and local governments are there to do those things that we alone or in small groups cannot accomplish.

We all have something to give. And we all need things as well. When we communicate these abilities and necessities, everyone benefits. Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment